Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yes We Did!


So much going on, yet so little to report on the adoption front. I'll begin with the election. This is the first time in my life that I get involved in the election process. I know my contribution was minimal-but for me it was monumental. I had never before given money to a campaign. I always felt that politicians have so much more money than a teacher barely making ends meet that it was something I would never consider doing. Well. I not only contributed once, but I did so three times. I know my contributions were small bananas compared to what some gave, but I felt strongly enough for my candidate and his ideals that I wanted to make a statement. I attended my first political rally. Boy was that exciting! The crowds, the energy, and the looonggg wait! I am happy that I attended the rally in Miami-it took place in Bicentenial Park-across the street from the Freedom Tower....the irony was NOT wasted on Me! I remember when my grandmother used to bring me to this building when I was a very little girl-I now know that we would come to get assistance-the cheese, the butter, the help for a new family of immigrants: Two women in a foreign country with a little girl to feed! And they did it! And I am a product of that sacrifice-courage.....So as my chosen candidate spoke of helping those that have been forgotten by government of course it struck a cord within me. I really live by the idea of "to whom much is given, much is expected." I canvassed and made phone calls during this election process-never did I ever imagine that I would participate in such activities! and if felt GREAT. I will take a moment to say that my very Republican Cuban Mother and Mother in law think that DH and I have lost our minds and become FANATICS! Fanantics!?!! Is that the word for trully believing in something/someone and actually stepping up to the plate and acting? Finally, I watched election night coverage because it really mattered this time! I had investedd time, energy and prayer.....and the results were very meaninful for me on a very personal level. What a great country this trully is! If one makes the choice it trully is government "for the people, by the people" How exciting that I was able to feel/experience my government in action.


I look forward to the next four years with hope...yes....how audacious to hope! I believe that as Americans we are once again living up to what that ideal really means. I'm proud and I'm happy and I'm hopeful!




No comments: